Wednesday, October 6, 2010

The Boy in the Moon

Ian Brown got a good impression from when he went to L'Arche in Montreal and France. He felt comfortable in the environment and enjoyed his stays. "For a long time i didn't want to leave." p. 194. At first when he went to both places he felt very insecure because he felt like a stranger in a community that had a different layout then his. But at the same time that is what he really wanted for Walker when he was no longer able to take care of him; a place where people without disabilities were they odd ones out where Walker would be able to feel comfortable all the time. "I saw for the first time the outline of the unthinkable community I was looking for. In that community, I was the stranger." p. 187. In this community no matter what you were like everybody accepted and loved everybody for who they were. "I felt awkward holding hands with someone i didn't know, and absurd for feeling awkward."
I have learn that life with a profoundly disabled child is incredible tough. I feel very sorry that Ian, his wife and daughter have to go through life like this always having to look out for Walker. But I am also very grateful that Walker has a very loving and supporting family because i know that most people would not be able to handle and support a child like Walker. This memoir has taught me to accept and to not look at disabled children like that are not normal and to not judge them right way and that under all of the out appearances is a person just like you and me that I can learn from and get to know.

My Three Questions For Ian Brown:

How does it make you feel when you are with Walker in public and you know that people are passing judgements about Walker that are not positive?

What is the first thing that comes to your mind when you see another disabled child in public or anywhere else and how does it make you feel?

When you are gone how well do you think Hayley will be able to cope with taking care of Walker with all the other stuff hat will be happening in her life?

No comments:

Post a Comment